Skip to main content

Break the rules!

Funny story.  Driving into Durban city on a really busy Saturday - I reached the first set of robots.  Seeing pedestrians and cars deluxe ahead.  The traffic light turned red as I approached.  And at the same time, a traffic officer stood to reinforce the stop cue.  I smiled.  Only in South Africa...  We need double stop cues.  Because, granted, there is not much respect for road rules.  Not necessarily a good thing...  But it did get me thinking about rules.
This is my worst rule.  No dogs allowed.  Makes my hackles rise whenever I see it.  When I heard from my Catholic nun teacher that dogs don't go to heaven my questioning of the entire spirit system began.  quite sure I don't want to spend eternity without these guys.  Feel the same way about beaches and other spaces where my dogs and animals are not welcome.  I fully believe that if we allowed it, and focussed instead on responsible relationships with the animals in our world, our world would be a better place.  A gentler more respectful planet that we share with creatures and nature, rather than a space we think we are in charge of.  A place where it appears we are becoming more and more separated from the whole.
 
Onto animal training and rules.  Human beings love rules.  This is a problem when we are working with sentient beings. 
How do we enforce a way of being.  Relationship is not about doing.  So, yes, the theory of animal training is great.  Reinforce a behaviour using positive reinforcements.  Neutral responses for what you don't want.  Touch dolphins on the belly.  Smack puppies on the nose.  Use this bit in the horses mouth for dressage...  and the more we make these rules, the more we forget that the being is before us.  Communicating very clearly.  That dolphin is very ticklish in comparison to this one, but I just think he is ADD.  The puppy keeps biting me when I try smack his nose.  Maybe age old wisdom and punishment is not right for him.  The horse keeps lifting his head.  Yeah.  You hurting his mouth...
 
Sentient beings.  Motivation 101.  To be safe.  Us and them.  Respect.  Care.  Noting their experience.
 
When we take time to look at each animal individually.  Look at their experience, as far as possible, from their point of view.  Then we begin to live in relationship.  We begin to sense ourselves as part of something bigger.  Not as the fixers, or saviours.  We can then put down guilt and start to have fun.  We can hear logic, but stop seeing the word as rules and limitations.  That's when miraculous things begin to happen.
 
 When we are not limited by rules and beliefs, we are free to do amazing things. 
And life is fun. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On his retirement. A tribute to a legend

Veterinarian & human extraordinaire. 50 years of true service to the animal world, the animal people, and to his animal-loving family.  Four siblings all who care significantly for animals as a result of the way we were raised.  To respect life.  Because that is who our father his.  Our father is more than a vet.  He is a compassionate man.  A vet who took his oath to care for animals to the greatest level, inspiring those close and around him to do the same.  Caring so deeply.  Working so hard.  Ensuring that he always did his best.  He has such depth and wisdom.  He has always had a following of people in his life who he wisely guides.  His generosity is boundless.  He has inspired his children way more than can be imagined.  We are pretty sure there are not many people who are so fortunate to have this example of humble love to follow.  We are equally unsure whether we can truly honour his example by dupli...

2026 is already a kaleidoscope of joy

 

Out with the old. Thank you 2016, and goodnight!!!

2016 my dear year! Cannot say I will miss you.  However, the lessons I learned in your passage will remain etched in my soul where they were sometimes harshly engraved.  I would love to personify you and blame you.  And yet, you have even taken the blame out of me.  So I feel left swaying in your aftermath.  So many people have left the planet.  Some by choice.  Animals have passed on and new animals have joined the family.  Family changes have been enormous with all sorts of 'shake up's' along the way.  Work has remained a questioning challenge.  Interactions in general have been awakening - not always comfortable.  So - good bye.  And just for the hell of it - good riddance... Deep breath But that is not true.  In real truth - thank you.  There have been some good moments.  Some great glasses of wine, swims in the sea, long runs and walks, time with so many beautiful creatures, painting class...