Skip to main content

Conditional Relationships

In our modern lifestyles, success is paramount and the moment is forgotten.  We are striving to achieve.  It is bred into us from extra maths and ballet lessons at the age of 6 to the successful degrees we will achieve to the best job and the smartest car.  It can be a stressful life.  Our self-worth is conditional.  We are only judged to be enough, if we are that wall street banker, or the owner of the cool car, or if we wear the best labels.  And we document the journey to stardom in selfies that reflect an apparent barrenless existence. 

Perhaps we know how stressful it can be to be in relationship with someone on the off chance that they will make us feel better.  We work to make them happy.  Or make them feel proud of us.  And we do this, usually because we have – at some stage, been parented by someone (not necessarily a parent), who made us feel less than, and only worthy – on condition that… . 

Animals, according to popular theology – are there for our gain.  Does this theology infiltrate – even if we don’t buy into it?  Do we unconsciously buy into the need to control the creatures in our camps?  Does this cause a case of – do this – so I can prove my belief system about myself?  Then I can offer you a reward.  And only then.

This is a classic case of operant conditioning at its worst.  Do the behaviour to achieve the reward.  And it is all about the reward.  The relationship and care is forgotten in the process.

Is this what we are doing with the animals with which we work?  Sure we love them.  More than anything.  I love my sons too.  Yet remain stressed about their future, and put pressure on them to succeed.  To the point where they have acted out and told me – with true teenage actions – to back off.  This moment was a highlight for me.  It made me look at the relationships I have with animals too.  Because they are enough.  Just being the amazing animals that they are.  And I choose to be in relationship with them not to make them do flick flacks in the agility ring, or perform amazing feats of intelligence.  But because when I look into their eyes it feels like I am home.

I still need to ask the question – do I look into their eyes often enough for them to believe they are enough?  Do they equate me with care, or only with resources - food and attention rewards?  Do I create anticipation in them the moment they see me?  Or do they also feel like they have come home when we connect. 

Do I sit on the floor with my dog?  Do I spend time in the company of the animal I train without expectation?  Do I provide toys other than the norm?  Where they can investigate something novel?

Hard question for an animal trainer to reflect upon, but I believe one that is imperative.  Have we achieved enough of a balance?  Is their life enriched in our care?  Or are they acting out in a teenage frenzy because we have not provided effectively? Question always is – what would love do?  Answer?  Would be keen to know your response.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On his retirement. A tribute to a legend

Veterinarian & human extraordinaire. 50 years of true service to the animal world, the animal people, and to his animal-loving family.  Four siblings all who care significantly for animals as a result of the way we were raised.  To respect life.  Because that is who our father his.  Our father is more than a vet.  He is a compassionate man.  A vet who took his oath to care for animals to the greatest level, inspiring those close and around him to do the same.  Caring so deeply.  Working so hard.  Ensuring that he always did his best.  He has such depth and wisdom.  He has always had a following of people in his life who he wisely guides.  His generosity is boundless.  He has inspired his children way more than can be imagined.  We are pretty sure there are not many people who are so fortunate to have this example of humble love to follow.  We are equally unsure whether we can truly honour his example by dupli...

2026 is already a kaleidoscope of joy

 

Out with the old. Thank you 2016, and goodnight!!!

2016 my dear year! Cannot say I will miss you.  However, the lessons I learned in your passage will remain etched in my soul where they were sometimes harshly engraved.  I would love to personify you and blame you.  And yet, you have even taken the blame out of me.  So I feel left swaying in your aftermath.  So many people have left the planet.  Some by choice.  Animals have passed on and new animals have joined the family.  Family changes have been enormous with all sorts of 'shake up's' along the way.  Work has remained a questioning challenge.  Interactions in general have been awakening - not always comfortable.  So - good bye.  And just for the hell of it - good riddance... Deep breath But that is not true.  In real truth - thank you.  There have been some good moments.  Some great glasses of wine, swims in the sea, long runs and walks, time with so many beautiful creatures, painting class...