Skip to main content

My super hero

There is sn enormous guiding light in my life.  Inspiration to do what I am intrinsically driven to do. Because he has always done just that.  Today he and I admitted to each other that we are both hard-shelled softies.  And as animal people who have committed to living in service to our charges this is a hard life to live.  But we would have it no other way. 

I still have loads to learn from my mentor.  His unconditional caring and enormous generosity to those around him is a lesson I am yet to totally get.  

I am talking about my Dad. He is a vet. (I am not because I am not smart or  emotionally strong-enough). He is well over 70 and still practising.  His practise is at his home.  Recently he has been suffering with a bout of ill health.  He has been in and out of hospital and we have all been very worried about him.  I travelled to his home a good 700kms away to visit and spend time with him.  Again he amazed me.  

My father is a very keen and good golfer.  With his health concerns he has not played for a couple of months.  He has been very weak and spending a fair amount of time in need.  My sisters moved a bed into the lounge for him.  I knew before I arrived that he had started accepting clients into his home space.  I was amazed at this system  in operation.  

His assistant brings the clients and their animals to him.  He has a stock of treatment and diagnostic tools that he uses organised on his bedside table.  This is all the practical stuff.  It is and always has been the emotional and spiritual stuff that goes down in his presence that amazes me.  

His regular clients that visit and sit in his company without the need to even talk. Just comfortable silence and then clever humour.  And then all those clients who find him as a last resort.  Because he charges very little.  And treats simply. The way he barters - paintings hang in his lounge as payment for work he had done on  people's pets. His kitchen is filled with preserves and jams and fruit and rusks Thanks to his regulars. I am sure there is much more I don't know about.  

I tried to help with his books.  So many owe him money.  He writes off so much of it.  He believes in the good of people.  He believes the animals deserve care no matter what.  

And then there is the strength this man offers.  Distressed individuals worrying about their animals and their lives offload their sadness and cry their tears in his presence.  And this man, thinner than he should be and far paler than shows good health calmly holds the space for them.  Offers them tea and cigarettes and a shoulder to cry on.  His grace is monumental. 

The best moments are when he picks up the ill dog or the little kitten and places them on the bed next to him on top of the clean towel. How he lovingly strokes each one and gives them his full attention.  How they all seem so calm and easy in his care.  While his own little dogs look on. 

Yes.  I have so much still to learn.  If I could have a small percentage of his grace, humour, ingenuity, optimism and generosity I would be a far better person.  

I love you Dad. I love how you are ethically and morally and gracefully my super hero.  Thank you for choosing me to be your daughter


Sent from Samsung Mobile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In memory of my mother

My mum passed when I was 23. I never really had the opportunity to come back home to a respectful relationship with her after my teenage rebellious tribulations and assaults on her goodwill. So this blog is to honour and thank her for her contribution to my love for  nature.  She was an avid bird watcher and had dreams of travelling through the bush. I have many memories of her being fascinated by animals on our weekend getaways to the Kruger National Park.  My first memory of her was her riding a horse called Thunder. That is a beautiful memory and the name of the horse is as mystical and awe inspiring as her impact on who I am in relationship with animals.  She was fearless. And always confident that all would be well. She had faith in my animal relationships always. As a very young child I was given the task on many occasions to hand rear orphan wildlife and pets. She never micro managed the process but would offer helpful insight that came naturally to her.  The animals in our home

On his retirement. A tribute to a legend

Veterinarian & human extraordinaire. 50 years of true service to the animal world, the animal people, and to his animal-loving family.  Four siblings all who care significantly for animals as a result of the way we were raised.  To respect life.  Because that is who our father his.  Our father is more than a vet.  He is a compassionate man.  A vet who took his oath to care for animals to the greatest level, inspiring those close and around him to do the same.  Caring so deeply.  Working so hard.  Ensuring that he always did his best.  He has such depth and wisdom.  He has always had a following of people in his life who he wisely guides.  His generosity is boundless.  He has inspired his children way more than can be imagined.  We are pretty sure there are not many people who are so fortunate to have this example of humble love to follow.  We are equally unsure whether we can truly honour his example by duplicating his consistently magnanimous actions.  We have incredible memories

Reflections and projections

When they judge or throw stones (the people) - grace makes us the blank screen or the still water onto which they can see themselves and take personal account for their actions. When we train animals can we be that clear. So as to wisely be and act rather than contest and fight for what we want🥰